Using Social Media To Welcome New Families
The Importance of Social Media Marketing:
This is where our families are:
- 68% of Americans are on Facebook
- 75% of Facebook users visit the site at least daily
- 43% of American Adults receive their news from Facebook
This is how consumers make decisions:
- 57% have decided on a purchase before they go to the store
- 64% read online reviews before making a decision
- 65% learn about a product or service through social media
- 6.3X per day the average American mom checks Facebook
Do these stats hold true for Scouters and Potential Scouters?
There was an average of 16.6% increase in recruitment for units that geofenced verse similar units who did not.
Taken from NextConnect 2019 Digital recruiting seminar
Before Starting a Social Media Recruitment Campaign:
Before Starting a Digital Recruitment Campaign consider what families are looking for in a new program:
Share your Story – The Pack / Troop website and Facebook page should show action, fun, highlight events and activities, and engaged parents/volunteers.
Clear Information – Families that see expectations of families, meeting times and locations, pack calendar, and contact information know what to expect and see that it is an organized functional Scout unit they are looking at.
Ease of Access – Be Sure BeAScout Pins are up-to-date. Families that are researching online want to be able to apply online.
Effective Facebook Promotions:
- Single Unit Events Perform Best
- Multi-pack/Troop or district events are less effective
- Events at Schools are most successful
- Parks and public places are second
- Facebook promoted recruitment events held at churches perform worst.
Council Provided Facebook Event Marketing:
Units that support our recruitment plan will have Geofenced Facebook Events provided for them in addition to the resources and materials like flyers, eFlyers, school access support and more. Contact your District Executive to request these great marketing tools!
Use your Unit Public Facebook Page to promote your Units Virtual/In-person recruitment night (Kickoff/Open House). Encourage each member of your Unit to share the provided Facebook Event to their network to promote your Unit and recruit new members! Here’s a calendar of social media posts to help you get started!
We are committed to keep it easy for units to receive these support items. Units can request this support by;
- Identifying a specific school to target recruitment efforts
- Hosting a stand alone recruitment that we can drive new families towards
- Working with district volunteers and staff early enough that marketing materials can be prepared in an effective timeframe.
Don't Stop at Facebook Events:
Don’t Stop at Facebook Event Campaigns also consider:
Use the Nextdoor App to promote your Unit recruitment night, Kickoff/Meetings, and other recurring Events. (This is also very helpful for popcorn sales.) Nextdoor is a neighborhood hub that connects you with the people living in your local area. Encourage each member of your Unit to post in their “Neighborhood” to recruit new members!
- Peachjar School eFlyers
Contact your District Executive today to request unit flyers!
Unit Flyer Request The latest in 2022 recruitment materials! Resources to promote your event and engage interested
Scouts BSA Recruitment Social Posts Calendar
Scouts BSA Unit Recruitment Sample Language for Social Posts One of the best ways to reach families