Purpose of the Committee
The mission of the Grand Canyon Council Aquatics Committee is to provide safe, exciting, and challenging aquatic experiences and training in support of individual scouting units as they participate in year-round aquatic activities.
- Promote Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat in all aquatics activities.
- Encourage units to promote aquatics by providing resources and training.
- Provide ongoing training for adult unit leaders and summer camp aquatics staff.
- Encourage advancement in aquatics (2nd Class, 1st Class, merit badges, Venturing and Seascouts).
- Promote Cub Scout aquatic activities
- Provide a forum for discussion of policies and procedures relative to the unit, district, and council aquatics.
- Ensure that aquatic facilities and equipment are used according to agreed-upon standards
- Develop resources for training and support in specialized aquatic areas (i.e. kayaking, boardsailing, waterskiing, SCUBA, whitewater, etc.)
- Promote participation in aquatic high-adventure (Northern Tier, Florida Sea Base, etc.).
- Coordinate with other agencies (Red Cross, YMCA, etc.) for joint programs or use of facilities.
- Coordinate with other councils regarding programs and resources.
Aquatics Council Membership and Meetings
Members meet the 3rd Thursday of every month via phone to discuss aquatic trends, programming, training, safety, advancement opportunities, and development of aquatic leadership
We are always looking for individuals with aquatic experience to serve as committee members, district trainers, lifeguards, and/or merit badge counselors.
Please contact Lynn Brennard at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to receive additional information about any of our training and events, attend a meeting or become a member.
Looking for more information about whitewater training and trip planning?
Contact Lynn Brennard at email@example.com.