Why Wood Badge?
Click Here for the 2014 Wood Badge Brochure
Wood Badge Course Overview
Wood Badge is for every Scout leader! Wood Badge was developed for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, and Venturing leaders, as well as district and council leaders. Its focus is on leadership not outdoor skills.
Scouter Leaders must complete the basic training courses and have completed the outdoor skills training appropriate for their Scouting position.
The following information is designed to help provide you with key information about the training.
Wood Badge Course Delivery
The Wood Badge program consists of two phases: the learning experience and the application phase. The learning experience is set in an indoor and an outdoor environment where the course reflects unit meetings and a unit camping activity. The Boy Scout troop simulation provides a framework in which to practice the leadership skills introduced in the course. A natural bridge between the various Scouting programs is modeled.
Wood Badge Objectives
As a result of attending Wood Badge participants will be able to:
- View Scouting globally, it is a family of interrelated, values-based programs that provide age-appropriate activities for youth
- Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in corporate America and leading government organizations that are relevant to our values-based movement
- Apply the skills they learn from their participation as a member of a successful working team
- Revitalize their commitment by sharing in an overall inspirational experience that helps provide Scouting with the leadership it needs to accomplish its mission on an ongoing basis
Wood Badge Five Central Themes
The course follows five central themes:
- Living the Values
- Bringing the Vision to Life
- Models for Success
- Tools of the Trade
- Leading to Make a Difference
Grand Canyon Council offers several courses throughout the year at different locations. Courses are scheduled starting on Thursday and ending on Saturday over two weekends. Or starting on Friday and ending on Sunday over two weekends. The cost of the training is $215 for the six-day five-night course.
Course size is limited to 56 participants, therefore early registration is recommended. A minimum of 30 participants must be registered, with fees fully paid 30 days before the first scheduled date of the course. For more information contact any of the Course Directors.