For over 35 years the Boy Scouts of America has worked with Trail’s End to empower our Scouts and their leaders to raise the funds they need to go to camp, provide year round programming, and to enable any Scout to earn their own way through the Scouting program! Fundraising through Popcorn sales is a tested and reliable method to fundraising, and unit leaders have the support, guidance, and training of Council volunteers and staff to guide every unit to success!
Scouts selling popcorn door to door average $125 in sales per hour, earning them over $43 PER HOUR in commissions, in addition to the prizes and camp incentives earned! For every item sold, a Scout earns 35% commission, while another 35% of the sales support Council programs to keep camp costs low, assist Scoutreach programs to help youth in need, and maintain our camp properties and programs!
In 2019, 112 packs and troops participated in the fundraiser and averaged $4,253 in commissions, in addition to providing nearly $4,000 to support Council programs! Additionally, 223 Scouts earned $125 vouchers towards Grand Canyon Council camps, dozens of Scouts earned scholarships, and thousands of Scouts earned Amazon gift cards which allowed them to chose from thousands of prize options. Our top ten units averaged $14,592 in commissions over the two month sale, way more than they could have done with car washes!
If your Scouts or committee are interested in participating with popcorn, please do not hesitate to contact your District Executive!
The Popcorn Sale is Important!
There are plenty of good reasons for your Scouts to take part in the annual popcorn sale. Scouts can earn money for camp and activities throughout the year and they learn valuable skills like teamwork, goal setting, time management and salesmanship – just to name a few. Scouts gain confidence and a sense of accomplishment, the popcorn sale is not about selling popcorn, it’s about promoting Scouting! Best of all, there is NO upfront cost to your Unit to participate! Units who take part in the Take Order and Online Direct popcorn sales will have a zero-risk fundraiser.
Selling popcorn also helps your Council raise money for improving summer camps, offering more extensive training for our volunteer leaders, and keeps program and activity costs down. The popcorn sale benefits the Scouting community in our Council as a whole, as well as individual units and Scouts, bringing in nearly half a million dollars to packs and troops in Grand Canyon Council annually!
Top Reasons to Sell Popcorn
- A scout can earn their own way to camp with a proven fundraiser that works, all while keeping money in their parents’ pockets!
- Take Order and Online Direct sales are a no-risk fundraising opportunity available for all Scouts.
- Scouts can earn incentives including Amazon gift cards and $125 credit towards any Grand Canyon Council camp or $100 gift card for the Scout Shop!
- Not only will scouts learn how to make a sales pitch and the value of hard work, but they can use aspects of the fundraiser to advance and earn rank and portions of several merit badges!
- A portion of this fundraiser supports Grand Canyon Council, which is used to improve properties and programs, supplement camp fees to keep them low, and provide camper-ships for Scouts in need!
Getting Ready for 2021
The 2021 Popcorn Fundraiser has more support than ever to aide your Scouts in fundraising. Be sure to follow these steps to get prepared for your sale this fall!
- Register your unit – There is no commitment required, but we’d love to keep your unit in the loop until the sale begins!
- Watch the kickoff! Our 2020 kickoff was recorded! Click here for the Power Point used in the kickoff. We intend to record the 2021 kickoff, but encourage leaders to participate so that their questions can be answered.
- Join us for the Q&A Session, where Council Kernels Wil and Sondra and staff advisor Matthew Graham will answer your questions!
- Review the Trails End 2020 Kernel Guide – It’s long, but includes everything you need to know about popcorn!
- Review the GCC Popcorn Leader’s Guide – this covers the information specific to Grand Canyon Council popcorn that you will want to know!
- Review the Storefront Guidelines
- Take advantage of online webinars to learn about ways you can succeed.
- Use the App Quick Start Guide to assist Scouts in preparing for the sale.
- If you would like to start early with sales, Scouts may begin popcorn sales online as early as July 1st! Units will receive a 5% bonus for online sales during this period.
- Scouts – How to sell $1,000 in popcorn while social distancing.
- Leaders – How to fund your unit while social distancing
Fall 2021 Sale Timeline
Show and Sell Orders Submission Deadline- NO LATE SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED
Show and Sell Delivery and Product pickup
Midsale Order #1 Submission Deadline- NO LATE SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED
Midsale Order Distribution
Take Order Submission Deadline- NO LATE SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED
Take Order Orders delivered and distributed.
Fundraiser is closed. Deadline to settle all balances and submit prize orders.
2021 Product Lineup (to be updated Summer 2021)
New this year:
- Jalapeno Cheddar and Caramel Corn with Nuts has been replaced with Blazin’ Hot.
- Cheese Lovers Collection now includes White Cheddar & Blazin’ Hot.
- Ready-to-eat Unbelievable Butter will be offered at $15 retail for traditional and Online Direct;
- Chocolatey Caramel Crunch and Chocolate Lover’s will be offered Online Direct only and will ship after Oct. 5th, or after a full week of temperatures under 90*F, in order to prevent chocolate products from melting in transit;
- Ready-to-eat Kettle Corn will not be introduced in 2020;
- The Military Donation is now the American Heroes Donation to include US military, first responders and healthcare workers!
2021 Popcorn Sales Incentives
- $125 Voucher towards Camp or $100 Scout Shop Gift Card – Individual Scouts who sell $1,500 or more worth of product may receive a $125 voucher towards camp registration which the Scout can put towards any 2021 Grand Canyon Council Camp, OR a $100 Scout Shop gift card.
- Camp vouchers are applicable only towards Grand Canyon Council Camps: Camp R-C, National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT), and Camp Geronimo. GCC cannot issue vouchers for properties and programs funded by other Councils.
- If a Scout cannot attend a Grand Canyon Council camp, then a $100 Scout Shop Gift Card will be issued to them.
- Scouts who earn the incentive will be given a month to make their decision once notified. Scout Shop gift cards will be issued to any Scouts who have not delivered their decision to the Council Program Director by the deadline.
- Prizes – Instead of Scouts choosing from a number of prizes, all Scouts will receive an electronic Amazon gift card emailed directly to them a week after their unit’s fundraiser is complete. This will allow Scouts to choose from many more options for prizes, gifts, and toys, and have it shipped to their house, all without having to wait on prizes to be ordered, shipped, and distributed! Click here to download the prize flyer. In 2020, prizes are based on points instead of dollars, allowing for Scouts to earn additional rewards!
- Scouts will earn 1 point for each $1.00 in cash sales.
- Scouts will earn 1.5 points for each $1.00 in credit card sales
- Scouts will earn 2 points for each $1.00 in online sales.
- To promote the early adoption of the Online Direct sale, Units will earn a 5% bonus (in an Amazon.com gift card) for Online Direct sales during July 1 – August 15.
- Scholarships – The Scholarship Program was discontinued in 2020. However, Scouts that were already accepted into the program may still be eligible to receive 4% of their sales through 2022. For more information and the full terms and conditions, please visit Trail’s End Scholarship.
- The app for Scouts to track and report real-time storefront, wagon and online sales, accept cash and credit cards, track inventory by Scout and storefront, and sign up for storefront shifts!
- The app has been redesigned, with upgrades to the platform allowing it to be even faster and more stable!
- FREE credit card processing.
- In 2018, units who tested it found that their sales were 20% higher than using cash alone.
- More information can be found here!
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with technical support questions
Fry’s Food Stores have confirmed that they will be able to provide two weekends for popcorn sales, and while those weekends have been requested, they have not been finalized, Once confirmed, we will update the dates on this page.
The units with the best sales coordinate storefronts within their community! You can contact nearby businesses, organizations, sporting venues, at Scouts’ own churches and schools, at festivals, fairs, community events and more!
Please do not count of being able to rely solely on the storefronts organized by Council or others as the Council-organized store fronts are first come-first served and are claimed very quickly. It is up to the unit to be self reliant on securing storefronts so that your Scouts have an opportunity to sell to others!
- Each unit is responsible for organizing their own store fronts and ensuring there are enough sales opportunities for their Scouts and to achieve their own goals.
- Several organizations are coordinating with Council to provide storefronts collectively, please do not contact the organizations listed below as all of their store front registrations are coordinated in bulk by Council.
- Council coordinated storefronts are limited and are first come-first served.
- Council organized storefronts are to supplement the store fronts organized by each pack and troop within their own community. These storefronts should not be your first or only opportunities to sell.
- Units must abide by the Storefront Code of Conduct.
We would like to thank Fry’s Food Stores, Sportsman’s Warehouse, and Safeway for traditionally supporting the Grand Canyon Council by providing storefronts for our scouts to sell popcorn! These store fronts are meant to supplement the store fronts organized by units within the community. As your favorite location or schedules may be claimed, do not plan on relying on any of these store fronts for your own sales.
Webinars and Training
Our Council kickoff will take place on August 1st, 2021 and is currently being planned as a webinar.
Trails End has a series of webinars available this summer:
- Top Selling units ($20K+) – July 28-29
- High Selling Units ($7.5K-20k) – July 7 – 30
- Participating units ($0-7.5k) – June 30 – July 31
- Scout Sales Training – July 20-27
- District Kernels – June 6-12
Trails End has provided a series of Youtube training videos leaders to review at any time:
- Popcorn Team Training Series: Introduction
- How a Cub Scout pack sold $190,000 with 85 Scouts
- Five Popcorn Fundraising Secrets for Success
- Why we sell popcorn
- Team Building and Planning
- Kickoff types and how to organize them
- Ways to Sell Popcorn
- Scouts popcorn Sales Training
- Show and Sell
- Wagon Sales
- Take Order Basics
- Online Selling
- Online Fundraising – How it works
- App Training
Unit Orders and Returns
Unit orders are due by the posted dates on the timeline. No late orders can be accepted.
- It takes up to 8 hours time to aggregate 100+ unit orders, including determining the number of pallets and layers necessary per truck per delivery location. One late order could mean having to start over from scratch, pay extra for rush shipping for hundreds of thousands worth of product, or delaying the entire Council order.
- Popcorn inventory is being created upon ordering, providing the freshest product to our units. Orders will take two weeks to deliver once Council has submitted the aggregate Council order. Late orders could mean we may lose our distribution sites.
- Due to the addition of two midsale orders and a new Council office location on a second floor with less storage space, additional popcorn will not be available to replenish inventories or to fill late orders.
- Beginning 2020, there will be no late orders accepted.
Grand Canyon Council does not accept returns of unsold popcorn from units. Units should only order product that they intend to sell, and should order in line with their Scout goals and participation.
Units may mitigate their risk, or even have a no-risk sale, by focusing on or only engaging in Take Orders and Online Sales.
- Every unit should order an amount of popcorn based on the goals and participation of Scouts within their unit. Please do not submit an order without first determining the level of Scout participation.
- In 2021, Council is encouraging units to order according to their Scouts committed sales goals. The initial Show and Sell order should be less than the total goal, as additional product can be ordered through the Midsale and Take Order orders. This order is by the case, not individual bag.
- One midsale orders will be available for units to top off their inventory. This order is placed a few weeks after the initial delivery when units have been able to determine their sales levels and have had a chance to sell at storefronts. This order is done by the case.
- The final Take Order order will allow units to order the exact number of containers they need to fulfill needs. Units should use any excess popcorn they have in inventory to fill their orders, then submit an order for addition product needed.
- Grand Canyon Council will provide you with a popcorn order calculator that will allow you to determine a variety of product in line with your goal, based off of ratios of popcorn sold in prior years.
- Grand Canyon Council will encourage units to trade and transfer product throughout the sale to find more popcorn, or take product from of other units who ordered too much. This can be completed via the Trails End website! Units with excess popcorn should make it available to other units as early as possible.
- Grand Canyon Council will provide an annual budget planner to help units gauge a goal amount per Scout based off of program participation.
- Units keep their commission immediately, but must pay Council the remaining balance by the deadlines posted on the timeline scheduled above.
- 2020 Kernel Guide to Trails End Popcorn
- 2020 Grand Canyon Council Popcorn Leaders’ Guide
- 2020 Popcorn Kickoff – Video recording
- 2020 Take Order Form
- Advancements earned through Popcorn
- Annual Budget Planner
- Instructions on how to order door hangers or business cards on Vistaprint
- Unit Kickoff – Powerpoint Template
- Unit Kickoff – Checklist
- Scout Sales – Planning Worksheet for Goal Setting
- Scout Sales – Script Cards
- Storefront Code of Conduct
- Top Sellers Pledge
- Trails End Resources
Council Staff Advisor
602-955-7747 ext 211
Gila River District
Lost Dutchman District
Pinnacle Peak District
Sonoran Sunset District