GCC Aquatics Committee
The Grand Canyon Council Aquatics Committee was established in 1992 and is one of the oldest committees of its kind in the Boy Scouts of America. The Aquatics Committee consists of registered volunteer Scouters who are subject matter experts in specific aquatic areas and BSA standards and policies in advancement, program, safety and training. In addition, the committee organizes several council aquatic trainings and events throughout the year. The Committee is dedicated to support and promote aquatics events, while insuring that these events are conducted in accordance with BSA National policy and in a safe manner.
The mission of the Grand Canyon Council Aquatics Committee is to provide safe, exciting and challenging aquatic experiences and training in support of individual scouting units as they participate in year-round aquatic activities.
- Promote Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat in all aquatics activities.
- Encourage units to promote aquatics by providing resources and training.
- Provide on-going training for adult unit leaders and summer camp aquatics staff.
- Encourage advancement in aquatics (2nd Class, 1st Class, & merit badges).
- Promote Cub Scout aquatic activities.
- Provide a forum for discussion of policies and procedures relative to unit, district and council aquatics.
- Ensure that aquatic facilities and equipment are used according to agreed-upon standards.
- Develop resources for training and supporting in specialized aquatic areas (i.e. kayaking, boardsailing, waterskiing, SCUBA, whitewater, etc.)
- Promote participation in aquatic high-adventure (Northern Tier, Florida Sea Base, etc.)
- Coordinate with other agencies (Red Cross, YMCA, etc.) for joint programs or use of facilities.
- Coordinate with other councils regarding programs and resources.
Membership & Meetings
Members meet the 3rd Thursday of every month to discuss aquatic trends, programming, trainings, safety, advancement opportunities and development of aquatic leadership.
We are currently looking for individuals with aquatics experience to serve as committee members, district trainers, lifeguards and/or merit badge counselors.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to receive additional information about any of our trainings & events, attending a meeting or becoming a member.
Committee Board Members
- Chair – Gumby Petersen
- Vice-Chair – vacant
- Secretary – Lynn Brennard
- Professional Staff Advisor – Michael Chang
- Past Chairs
- Natalie Harper October 2010 - December 2014
- Dave apJones April 2009- October 2010
- Richard Thomas 1992 – January 2009
Cliff Hummer Memorial Scholarship
The GCC Aquatics Committee has established a scholarship in the memory of Cliff Hummer, a former aquatics director at Camp Geronimo. This scholarship is intended to increase the aquatic resources with the Council by encouraging qualified adults to become certified as an Aquatics Instructor, BSA, the highest certification granted by the Boy Scouts of America in aquatics.
The intent of this scholarship is to assist a mature volunteer adult Scouter to become certified as an Aquatics Instructor, BSA, who will make a commitment to serving on a year-round basis in developing, promoting, teaching and participating in council and district sponsored aquatic programs and trainings.
Click here to download the 2013 Cliff Hummer Memorial Scholarship Application
Click here to download the 2013 National Camping Schools brochure & course dates
Scholarship deadline is March 29, 2013. Scholarship winner will be announced by April 5.
Unit Leaders are always welcome to consult the Aquatics Committee for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org.